Call for Nominations
Professor Reg Skene led the University of Winnipeg’s theatre department from one course offered in 1965 to a four-year honours program with its own theatre complex and production facilities. Over the years, Reg taught many students who remained in Manitoba, became established theatre artists, and helped form the core of today’s Winnipeg theatre community. His passion and wisdom continue to nurture theatre in our province. This Emerging Theatre Artist award, which includes a trophy and $500.00, reflects his invaluable and ongoing contribution to the theatrical arts in our city, and is presented over a three-year cycle to a Manitoba playwright, actor, and director.
In 2019 the Reg Skene Award for Emerging Theatre Artist is in the Directing category.
- Resides in Manitoba, or has Manitoba as primary residence.
- Has recently embarked on a career as a theatre artist.
- Has demonstrated a serious commitment to the theatre.
- Has had an active history of directing public performances.
- Demonstrates artistic excellence, and/or innovation within their craft.
- Demonstrates exceptional promise as a theatre director.
- Equity and non-Equity artists are eligible for this award.
- Minimum age requirement: 18 years of age.
- Emerging artists will generally be defined as someone who has spent 5 years or fewer practicing their craft through public presentation (not including presentations as a student).
- Open to artists in English and French.
Artists may submit their own names for nomination, or be nominated by
an established theatre artist, or by a theatre company.
Applications must include:
- Artist's resume.
- A one-page letter of support from an established theatre artist.
- Applicant’s full address, email and telephone number, and the address, email and telephone number of the supporting theatre professional.
- No other documentation will be considered.
Email application material to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 9:00 a.m., October 7th, 2019.
Mail - Manitoba Association of Playwrights, 503-100 Arthur St., Winnipeg, Mb. R3B 1H3, post-marked no later than Friday, October 4th, 2019.
Nominations will be reviewed by a jury of established Winnipeg theatre professionals.
The award (a trophy and $500.00) will be presented at the Winnipeg Theatre Awards ceremony, Monday, November 4th, 2019.
For more information, please contact Brian Drader at (204) 942-8941, or by email at email@example.com
For past winners, please visit The Reg Skene Award MAP website page.