Deadline for submissions is November 20, 2020!
The Chris Johnson Award, established in 2014, will be announced as part of the Manitoba Book Awards/Les Prix du Livre du Manitoba, in spring of 2021. The award honours the best play by a Manitoba playwright, either produced or published, in the calendar years of 2019 and 2020, and is named in honour of Dr. Chris Johnson, Professor of Theatre (ret.), University of Manitoba.
Prize is $1,000.00, and a trophy.
- The play can be in English or French, of any length, any form, and for any age group, published or produced between January 1, 2019 and December 30, 2020.
- The play, if published, must have a recognized publisher.
- The play, if unpublished, must be a CAEA production, where the majority of the cast are Equity members.
- Please note - Due to this year’s exceptional circumstances, plays that were scheduled for a CAEA professional production in 2020 but were cancelled due to the pandemic, and are not being rescheduled in a future season, are eligible.
- The play, if in manuscript form, must be submitted by the playwright, with a production history; or in the case of a published play, by the playwright or publisher.
- Eligible playwrights must have been a resident in Manitoba for one of the past two years, and three of the past five years.
- There is a $30 entry fee, in accordance with the rules of the Manitoba Book Awards (entrance fees are returned to MAP to cover jury and administrative expenses).
Selection Process: MAP will select the jury, and oversee the process of selection. The jury selects the winning play. A reading committee may be formed, depending on the number of submissions, to prepare a short list.
All entrants must fill out an application form and pay a $30 entry fee by November 20, 2020: go to Manitoba Book Awards Chris Johnson Award for the on-line submission form.
For published plays, four (4) copies should be sent to:
Manitoba Book Awards, Millennium Library, Attn: Kathleen Williams, 251 Donald Street, Winnipeg, Mb, R3C 3P5
Plays published between January 1, 2019 and October 31, 2020 must be sent to the above address and postmarked by November 20th, 2020. Plays published between November 1, 2020 and December 31, 2020 must be sent to the above address and postmarked by January 10, 2021.
Plays in manuscript form produced between January 1, 2019 and December 31, 2020 must be uploaded with the entry form.