In 2016 the Reg Skene Award for Emerging Theatre Artist is for directors.
Professor Reg Skene grew the University of Winnipeg’s theatre department from one course offered in 1965, to a four year honours program with its own theatre complex and production facilities. Over the years, Reg taught many students who remained in Winnipeg, became established theatre artists, and helped form the core of today’s Winnipeg theatre community. His passion and wisdom continues to nurture theatre in Winnipeg. This Emerging Artist Award reflects his invaluable and ongoing contribution to the theatrical arts in our city.
The Reg Skene Award for Emerging Artist Award is presented over a three-year cycle to a Manitoba playwright, actor, and director in the theatre, who fulfills the following in eligibility and criteria:
- Resides in Manitoba, or has Manitoba as primary residence.
- Has recently embarked on a career as a performing artist in the theatre.
- Has demonstrated a serious commitment to the theatre.
- Has had some history of public performance.
- Demonstrates Artistic Excellence, and/or innovation within their craft.
- Demonstrates exceptional promise as a performing artist in the theatre.
- Equity and non-Equity artists are eligible for this award.
- Minimum age requirement: 16 years of age.
- Emerging artists will generally be defined as someone who has spent fewer than 5 years practicing their craft through public presentation (not including school presentations).
- Open to directors in English and French.
Artists may submit their own names in nomination, or be nominated by an established theatre artist, or by a theatre company. Applications must include:
* Artist's resume.
* A one-page letter of support from an established theatre artist, or manager.
* Applicant's full address, e-mail and telephone number, and the address, email address and telephone number of the supporting theatre professional.
* No other documentation will be considered.
*Applications: Email: firstname.lastname@example.org no later than midnight, December 17, 2016. Mail: MAP, 503-100 Arthur St., Winnipeg, MB, R3B IH3, post-marked no later than December 17, 2016.
The decision of the selection committee is final.
The Award’s presentation date is To Be Annonuced.
For more information, please contact Rory Runnells at 204-942-8941 or email@example.com