Congratulations to the five finalists in the Scirocco High School Playwriting Competition
Of the many fine submissions for this year’s competition, five finalists have been chosen. With the help of professional dramaturgs and directors, their plays will be presented at the Tom Hendry Warehouse Theatre on June 7th and 8th, 2018, and the audience will choose their favourite.
The five finalists are …
- Pressure Cooker by Ryleigh Anderson, St. Mary’s Academy
- Setting Sail by Anna Gervais, Portage Collegiate Institute
- Letting Go by Feruz Habteselassi, Westgate Mennonite Collegiate
- In Through the Window by Aurora R. Wiebe, Westgate Mennonite Collegiate
- Sleepy Town by Mona Zorigoo, Kelvin High School
We have a great team of Directors assembled to lead the rehearsal process - Paul Duncan, Erin Essery, Gary Jarvis, Kelly Rae Jenken, and Bruce Michalski - and Dramaturgs Megan Andres and Angie St. Mars will help the young playwrights further develop their scripts. With Julie Simpson once again on board to stage manage the event, we’re looking forward to another great year.
For any actors interested in joining us, auditions will be held on April 7th and 8th. Stay tuned for details, which will be released shortly.
Congratulations to the finalists, and to all the high school students who entered the competition. A really fine showing of fresh and exciting young talent!