Deadline for entries is November 23rd, 2018!
The Chris Johnson Award, established in 2014, will be presented at the Manitoba Book Awards, May 3rd, 2019, honouring the best play by a Manitoba playwright, either produced or published, in the calendar years of 2017 and 2018 (January 1, 2017 to December 31, 2018). The Award is named in honour of Dr. Chris Johnson, Professor of Theatre (ret.), University of Manitoba.
Prize is $1,000.00, and a trophy.
1. The play will be in English or French.
2. The play, if produced, must be a CAEA production, where the majority of the cast are Equity members.
3. The play, if published, must be by a recognized publisher.
4. The play may be of any length, any form, and intended for any age group.
5. The play, if in manuscript form, must be submitted by the playwright, with a production history; or in the case of a published play, by the playwright or publisher.
6. Eligible playwrights will have been a resident in Manitoba for one of the past two years, as well as a resident in Manitoba for 3 of the last 5 years.
7. There is a $30 entry fee, in accordance with the rules of the Manitoba Book Awards (entrance fees are returned to MAP to cover jury and administrative expenses).
Selection Process: MAP will select the jury, and oversee the process of selection. The jury selects the winning play. A reading committee may be formed, depending on the number of submissions, to prepare a short list.
All entrants must fill out an application form and pay a $30 entry fee by November 23rd, 2018. Please go to Manitoba Book Awards for the contest rules and regulations, and the on-line submission form.
If there are any questions, please don't hesitate to contact Brian Drader at the MAP office.