The Chris Johnson Award, established in 2014 and named for Dr. Chris Johnson, Professor of Theatre (ret.), University of Manitoba, honours the best new play either produced or published by a Manitoba Playwright. The award follows a two year cycle, with the next one covering the calendar years 2017 and 2018 (January 1, 2017 to December 31, 2018).
The 2017/2018 Chris Johnson Award will be presented at the Manitoba Book Awards in the spring of 2019.
Past winners Trish Cooper, far left, and Rick Chafe, far right
1. The play must be written in English or French
2. The play, if produced, must be a Canadian Actors Equity Association production, where the majority of cast members are Equity.
3. The play, if published, must be by a recognized publisher.
4. The play may be of any length, any form, and intended for any age group.
5. The play must be submitted by the playwright, with a production history; or, in the case of published play, by the playwright or publisher. No other information is needed.
6. Elligible playwrights will have been a resident in Manitoba for one of the past two years, as well as a resident in Manitoba for 3 of the past 5 years.
7. The jury selects the winning play. MAP will select the jury, and oversee the process of selection.
8. A reading committee may be formed, depending on the number of submissions, to prepare a short list.
There is a $30 entry fee, in accordance with the rules of the Manitoba Book Awards (entrance fees are returned to MAP to cover jury and administrative expenses).
Prize is $1,000.00, and a trophy.
For complete application guidelines and the on-line submission form for the 2017/2018 Chris Johnson Award, please follow this link - MAP News
2013/2014 - Rick Chafe, The Secret Mask
2015/2016 - Trish Cooper, Social Studies